Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Lector: Take Two



Well, I did it again. I was the Lector at church. This was only my second time. I was far more familiar with what I was supposed to do. Still, just as nervous. My ears rang, my face was red but when it was over I was happy to have been part of the Mass.

Our cathedral is beautiful. Father Jim is an articulate, devout priest. However, the best part for me was the first reading. It was beautiful. It was a reading from the Book of Wisdom 11:22-12:2

Before the Lord the whole universe is as a grain from a balance
Or a drop of morning dew come down upon the earth.
But you have mercy on all, because you can do all things;
And you overlook people’s sins that they may repent.
For you love all things that are
And loathe nothing that you have made;
For what you hated, you would not have fashioned.
And how could a thing remain, unless you willed it;
Or be preserved, had it not been called forth by you?
But you spare all things, because they are yours,
O LORD and lover of souls,
For your imperishable spirit is in all things!
Therefore you rebuke offenders little by little,
Warn them and remind them of the sins they are committing,
That they may abandon their wickedness and believe in
You, O LORD

2 comments:

Steve said...

What a magnificent church you have very fine and architechtural strong structure may be it will be a future basilica greetings

Unknown said...

Your right, it is a beautiful church. Thanks for the nice words. I never take it for granted. I am awed by its beauty just walking toward it. But then, you are in the land of many, many beautiful churches.
Peace,
Carl