Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Mission San Juan Capistrano

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqrIxMFb24U
San Juan Capistrano

Well, Cathi is back from California. I missed her. I am happy she got to vacation with her friends and celebrate a birthday. I am happy she got to see L.A., Hollywood, San Diego, Venice Beach and Tijuana Mexico. Still, I missed her and I am glad she is back.

Cathi took a tour of the Mission of San Juan Capistrano. This is the 7th mission in California and was a Franciscan Mission. Spain and then Mexico had 21 such mission in California. The Spanish established them to curb the rising influence of Russia in North America. The Franciscans used the mission to convert the Indians.

The missions were confiscated by the Mexican government. When California became part of the U.S. the missions were given back to the Catholic Church by Abraham Lincoln.

Cathi said she loved the place. It was tranquil, fragrant, and beautiful. We plan on eventually visiting the missions together, as a pilgrimage.

Cathi brought me back a small statue of St. Francis receiving the stigmata. Two years ago I stood at the site at Le Verna where that occurred. That saint continues to influence the world. But then, at a time when we are killing our planet and killing one another we need that saint.

I will have more about her adventures once her photos come back. In the meantime I have to listen to her tell me how the food here just doesn’t have as much flavor as the food in California. She is correct of course, except when I do the cooking!

No comments: