Thursday, December 31, 2009

Student Franciscan Pilgrimage: Day Four



Today the pilgrims spend time with the popes. They begin the day with Eucharist at the Vatican. I remember this being one of the highlights of my pilgrimage. Afterwards they will have a historical tour of St. Peter’s Basilica. I remember the columns that held up the dome. Each column was wider than my house! The building material was beautiful, shinny and looked as if it was built yesterday.


St Peter's Basilica, Vatican City, Rome, Italy

Everywhere they will see the markers indicating where saints and popes are buried. Art of all types are everywhere. They will learn where all the bishops were seated for Vatican I and II. Hopefully they will visit the Vatican Gardens or view the Swiss Guard..

I hope they have time to visit the Vatican Museum and the Sistine Chapel. They will be visiting more site than I did so I do not know if they will have time for the museum.


The Sistine Chapel

After lunch they will visit St. John Lateran. This was the Vatican of Francis. This is where he walked to, from Assisi, to ask for the pope’s blessing on his order.The students will have dinner on their own, in the city. They will then take a walking tour of the city. This will include the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon and Piazza Navonna.

I hope they enjoy the river, the lights, and the activity of the city. When they return to CTN there will be prayers and reflections and time to say goodbye to Rome. Tomorrow they head for Assisi!


A city tour in Rome

No comments: