Friday, February 27, 2009

Soup and Stations

Tonight we had “Soup and Stations” at our church, the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Fort Wayne. First we meet in the Cathedral center and share a meal. The camaraderie is great. It is a great break from the week and good preparation for the next part of the evening.

After a simple but tasty meal we go over to the Cathedral and participate in the Stations of the Cross. I love walking meditations and I especially like anything that connects me to our Franciscan heritage. Well, that’s Stations of the Cross!

The Stations we have in our church are magnificent. They are large wood carved stations. Each Station shows a different century and city. The only thing that remains the same in each is Jesus. As we process from Station to Station the room is is aglow with the light of late evening, of February trying to become spring. There is a soft glow, a hope of things to come.

Last year I was visiting my mother-in-law in Springfield Illinois. I participated in an outdoor Way of the Cross. It was a powerful way of bringing Jesus into today’s world. I then went to their Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception for Good Friday Services. So when I think of the Stations I think of Francis, I think of Margo and of course I think of Jesus and his mother.

No comments: