Sunday, May 17, 2009

Emmaus: Day Eleven

It was my turn to cook for the Ministry Center. So I got down there early, 8:30 to start cooking. We had turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, peas and cranberries. We also had peach cobble from yesterday. I wasn’t trying to recreate Thanksgiving but simply using what I found.

Well, it was a good meal and a good day. One guy is taking his meds regularly and is looking better. Another registered for college. He proudly showed us his school I.D. card.

The guys attended group, did their chores and worked on their goals. To be sure it was not a day without challenges, that never happens. Still, it was an up beat day. When one of the guys said grace he kept personalizing it, (“that’s what I’m struggling with”, “Lord, especially help me with that…”) His prayer emphasized that these guys aren’t just going through the motions.

It was a dark, cold, rainy day. I kept wondering what it is like for the guys living on the streets. Still, as the guys left they kept thanking us for the meal. They live hard lives but we provide respite.

No comments: