Sunday, May 24, 2009

Emmaus/Chicago: Day Twenty

I started the morning going to Mass at Mary of the Lake. Afterwards Nicole and I went to services at her church, Uptown Baptist. I wanted to make sure I went there. That was the church Jim Larson was music minister of. Jim is a friend I worked with in the 70's two doors from Emmaus. Jim and his wife Judy are now working with girls who were sold into prostitution in Thailand. He is the one that first told me about Emmaus. So, it was good to spend time with Nicole. I also felt connected to my old friend Jim.

I spent the evening with my niece and her family. It was nice, dinner, family, great conversation. I walked there. That is a walk from Uptown, to the edge of Boystown, turn on Grace and walk to North Central. It is about an hours walk. What I realized while walking is that I have seen a lot of Chicago neighborhoods in these past three weeks.


See Chicago - A City of Neighborhoods

I have seen and walked through:
Uptown
Ravenswood
New Chinatown
Buena Park
Edgewater
Rogers Park
Lincoln Park

Chicago Oak Street Beach Lake Shore Drive

Oldtown
Boystown
Andersonville
Chinatown

Chicago Chinatown – YCTV
Bucktown
Ukrainian village

Ukrainian Village neighborhood video from Dream Town
Wicker Park
Albany Park
The Loop
Downtown Lake Front

Buckingham Fountain in Chicago – YCTV
Lakewood
North Center
Roscoe village
Hyde Park

Hyde Park Chicago 2009
Wrigleville
Montclair
Galewood
Logan Square

As long as I am making lists, I have also seen so many different peoples. I have seen:
Swedish
Norwegian
Hispanic
Ukrainian
Russian
Polish
Chinese
Vietnamese
Thai
Africans (from all over the continent)
GLBT
Protestants
Catholics
Orthodox
Jews
Muslims
Buddhists

Man, that would make for one great quilt!

No comments: