Thursday, April 21, 2011

MLK Day 2011 at USF: Part II In the Community

MLK Day is always a big day at USF. In the morning I attended the gathering and worship service. I then observed some of the on-campus activities. In the afternoon I drove to some of the sites to see just what our students were doing. There were far more sites than I could have possibly visited. It was good to see the impact we were having.

The first visit was to one of my favorite agencies in the city, The Center for Nonviolence. I often have speakers from the Center in my classrooms. What they do is very consistent with our Franciscan values. So I was pleased to find out we were helping to restore heir floors.


MLK Day 2011: USF at the Center for Nonviolence

Not far from the Center is the St. Vincent DePaul resale shop. It was great to see a team of Sisters, faculty and students working together. I kept wondering if they would come over and organize my closet?


MLK Day 2011: USF at St. Vincent DePaul

Next I drove over to the Associated Churches of Fort Wayne. This large ecumenical group takes care of the nuts and bolts of caring for the poor. Our students were busy working in their food bank.


MLK Day 2011: USF at Associated Churches Food Bank

This was a larger team. They worked in an assembly line. They were focused, cheerful and I am told, very productive.


MLK Day 2011: USF at Associated Churches Food Bank (student interview)

My last stop was at the Love Community Center. This was a large organization. It was a automotive repair school, training for wood working, classes for adults and children, a church, parenting classes and job skills courses.

USF had been coming here for years and they were appreciated. Today they moved the computer lab to make room for new program. It is amazing that one day of service can have such an impact.


MLK Day 2011: USF at Love Community Center Computer Training Program

Consistent with Dr. King’s work toward peace-making our group “Just Peace” sponsored a film for the evening. I attend. The film was an artistic documentary titled “Little Town of Bethlehem.” It addressed the issue of Israeli-Palestinian relationships from a unique perspective .It was sad and yet hopeful.

So, a day of work, service and peace-building. That is a great way to honor Dr. King and a great way to begin a term.


Little Town Of Bethlehem: Official Film Trailer

No comments: